Saturday, March 12, 2011

Couscous and Sushi



Jicamas may possibly be one of my new favorite vegetables. Ground up really small they resemble the texture/look of rice, and can be used in place of rice pretty much everywhere you could think. It has a slight natural sweetness and a little bit of crunch. I used one and split it up to make raisin studded 'couscous', drizzled with some macadamia nut oil, and served with a jalapeno Harissa(a tomato and pepper sauce). The other half went into making sushi rolls with avocado and mushrooms. Every time I attempt to make sushi I find that someone has thrown out my bamboo rolling mat. Every. Single. Time. By the time I realized it this round, I was halfway through making it and not in the mood to run out and buy one, so I used a large freezer bag. Oddly enough it rolled better than any bamboo mat I've ever used.



Jicama Rice:
1/2 jicama (usually produces about 3 cups cubed), peeled and diced

Place in a food processor and whirl until it resembles rice, place into a strainer and squeeze out as much water as you can. You can flavor it at this point and use it, or you can dry it for a few hours in the dehydrator to get rid of some of the moisture. If you're making sushi you'll want to use this option, otherwise your nori will fall apart.

For the Couscous:
Add a couple handfuls of raisins and a tablespoon or two of macadamia nut oil, and a pinch of salt.

For Sushi:
Mix in 2 tblspns agave, 1 tblspn brown rice vinegar, and 1 tblspn mirin, as well as a pinch of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment