Thursday, April 19, 2012

Ruminating on Vitamins



Vitamins are like birth control. In the sense that I never remember to take either of them. Birth control I quit altogether cause the idea of putting hormones into my body freaks me out slightly. That's an entirely different post though. With vitamins I never know whether I should be making more of attempt to go steady with them, or whether it's really worth the effort? Now you shouldn't regard anything I say here as the utter truth cause all I'm going on is my research, and own experiences. So if you die from never taking a vitamin or something, it's not my fault.

I've generally believed that for the most part, if you're eating a varied diet with lots of fruits, veggies, and grains and is mostly whole, unprocessed food, your body should probably be running fairly well. Taking a vitamin sounds like good idea in theory, but how much of the vitamins in it are bioavailable to you(how much is actually being absorbed)? Nature never really intended for us to get our nutrience from a pill. Take calcium, for example. A lot of calcium pills are made from ground up shell in bone, which yes, contain calcium, but our bodies were never really intended to digest and absorb nutrience from a shell.

For the most part I generally try to listen to what my body is saying,I sort of figure that if something is completely lacking or out of whack my body will tell me. When I was at my lowest point suffering from anorexia, my hair was falling out, my nails were breaking off, I was freezing, my skin was a strange colour, all examples of malnourishment. I know when my body is unwell, and after a lot of experimenting adding and removing things from my diet, I've learned how to eat in a way that makes it run it's best. I try to incorporate lots of raw, unprocessed foods, tons of greens and veggies, fruits, and whole grains. It's simple, and it works for me. I pretty much never get sick. I have tons of energy, and I don't feel guilty about what I eat. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, but in this case knowledge set me free.

Honestly I still don't really know how I feel about vitamins, sometimes I like drinking Vega's All-In-One Nutritional Shake as insurance, in addition to a healthy diet where I'm trying to get the most of my vitamins from. I don't really think vitamins in pill form will make up for eating a healthy diet though. These are all just thoughts I've got on the topic, I could be entirely off base about some of this and I'm sure everyone will have a varying opinion, but I'm curious to hear others sound off on the topic. Thoughts anyone?

Today was also leg/butt day, which was exciting. I did about 40 mins of Blogilates Leg/Butt videos, followed up by 2 rounds of the Kick Boxing leg video for cardio. My legs are still kind of burning, 2 hours after I was finished. It sometimes still amazing me how much I adore working out now that I've started doing workouts I love, and how I can actually see and feel progress being made(I'm taking progress photos, maybe one day I'll post them if I'm brave enough. Eep.)

No comments:

Post a Comment