Thursday, April 12, 2012

Vegan Protein Waffles



I've been seeing recipes for Protein Pancakes everywhere, and I've been really wanting to try them. The only thing that's a deterrent was the fact that most of them use egg whites as a binder, which I don't eat. So I've been trying to come up with a way to make them without the egg whites, and my first attempt failed pretty miserably. I omitted the egg whites and just tried adding more flax meal to make them stick together, but the protein powder I use(Vega) gets really thick when mixed with liquids, so it was coming out as more paste than batter. I tried adding a bit more almond milk, but this just made the pancakes fall apart when I tried to flip them. I then tried adding more flax, which didn't really work either, and then ended up just dumping in a bunch of rolled oats. That helped, but they weren't so much pancakes then as some weird pancake/oat bar/cookie hybrid. Which was tasty but not exactly what I was looking for.

After watching a commercial for Eggos today I got a craving for waffles, so I decided to try the pancake experiment on the waffle iron. Instead of using plain rolled oats I ground them up into a flour, then mixed all the ingredients in a blender. The first batch fell apart when I opened the iron(I think the oats make them cook slower). The second batch came out perfect though, so I'm eating them for dinner.

Vegan Protein Waffles

1/2 cup rolled oats, ground into flour
1 banana
1 scoop protein powder(I used Vega Chocolate Performance Protein)
2/3 cup almond milk
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Blend the rolled oats into a fine powder first, then add remaining ingredients to the blender. Blend until smooth, then pour onto a preheated waffle iron. Mine took about 6 minutes to cook, not sure about other waffle irons though! Top with Vegan whipped cream, strawberries, whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment