Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Nachos and Taco Salad



My friend Steph is in town for the week, so we met up yesterday to make a short film, hang out, shop, and eat. We went to Foundation, a tasty veg restaurant on Main St. that has Vancouver's best nachos. The only sad part is they are slathered in cheese, which I don't eat. So I got a delicious salad instead, but it left me with a hankering for some corn chips to call my own. So I made my own version with some corn chips I had, heartbreakingly spicy salsa(just the way I like it), and mounds of guac, with a little sour cream. Food heaven.

Spicy Corn Chips

3 C. Frozen Corn
Juice from 1 lime
1 tsp Cayenne
1/2 tsp Paprika
salt

Blend all of the above in a food processor, and spread on a teflex sheet. You want it a bit on the thick side, so they hold up to dipping. Score into triangles, and dehydrate at 115 for about 10 hours. Flip over and dry for another hour.

Salsa
2 tomatoes, diced
1/4 c onion, chopped
juice from a lime
1/2 jalapeno, seeds to taste
salt to taste

Mix all in a bowl.

Guacamole
1 avocado
juice from 1 lime
salt

Mash.

Sour Cream
Flesh from 1 coconut
1/4 cup soaked cashews
1 tblspn lemon juice
1 tblspn cider vinegar
1 Tsp white Miso
1/2 C water
Combine all ingredients in vitamix blender. Blend until smooth.


Taco salads are just an excuse for me to eat salsa with a spoon,I can never get enough.


After that my mouth was somewhat on fire, so I cooled it down with some Chocolate Maple Chia Pudding.

8 comments:

  1. wish i had the time and patience to make such delectable looking treats! :D

    you really dont like cheese huh? but didnt you make something with cheese sauce before.. O_o

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll eat raw vegan cheese(usually made using nuts), but not cheese in the conventional sense(fermented animal milk)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i personally see no problem with eating/drinking dairy products!

    its not like we're eating the animals right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. From personal research I don't believe they're good for your body, nor are the animals they derive dairy products treated humanely, so no dairy for me! I feel better without it anyways.

    www.milksucks.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. the treatment of the cows is horrible. but for me. there was a point where i said to myself. ok. thats as much as i can do about it. i cant imagine a diet without ice cream. milkshakes. chocolate. coffee and cream! especially when soya isnt the greatest substitute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't/will never be comfortable putting my taste buds over the quality of life of another living creature. I'm not saying everyone needs to feel this way, it's just how I feel. Plus the way cows are raised is an incredibly huge waste of resources on our planet.

    There's far more substitutes than just soy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how is it a waste? farmers used to milk cows out in the fields (and probably still do).

    such as?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete